Welcome to the
MaineTransNet News Page
Read about MaineTransNet in
as well as noteworthy trans-related news stories.
If you see something of trans-related interest in the news,
send us the link and we will post it
MaineTransNet in the News!
- Portland Phoenix - 11/16/2011 - "Remembering Victims of Transphobia: In Memorium" - By Lisa Bunker - "On Sunday, shortly after dark, a small crowd will
gather in the chill of Monument Square for the Portland version of a
vigil happening all over the world: the 13th annual Transgender Day of
- Portland Phoenix - 2/24/2010 - "We are Born this Way" Discovering what it means to be transgender by Dierdre Fulton Featuring our very own, Alex Roan and Lisa Bunker!
- The Free Press - 1/26/2009 - "Gender Outside the Box" By Abigail Cuffy A review of Alex Roan's video documentary project.
Noteworthy Trans-Related News
- Boston Globe - 12/11/2011 "Led by the Child who Simply Knew" By Bella English - "The twin boys were identical in every way but one.
Wyatt was a girl to the core, and now lives as one, with the help of a
brave, loving family and a path-breaking doctor’s care."
- Huffington Post - 11/16/2011 "LGBT Leadership: Split hairs and Burnt Bodies" By Pete Subkoviak - "When Matthew Shepard was beaten bloody, tied to a fence, and left to die
alone in agony, a call was heard around the United States for tolerance
toward differing sexual orientations."
- National Center for Transgender Equality - 9/15/2011 For Immediate Release: "Social Security Administration No Longer Notifying Employers About Gender"
Washington, D.C. - The
Social Security Administration (SSA) has confirmed that it has ended
the practice of allowing gender to be matched in its Social Security
Number Verification System (SSNVS). This will result in the immediate
cessation of SSA sending notifications that alert employers when the
gender marker on an employee's W-2 does not match Social Security
- Advocate.com - 9/14/2011 "Ill. Trans Woman Wins Discrimination Suit" By: Trudy Ring "In what may be the first award to a transgender person under the
Illinois Human Rights Act, a taxi company has been ordered to pay more
than $100,000 for discrimination against a transgender employee."
- CBS Baltimore - 9/13/2011 "Woman Sentances 5 Years In McDonald's Transgender Attack" Reported By: Derek Valcourt "TOWSON, Md. (WJZ) –It was a scandalous hate crime caught on camera that
grabbed national headlines. Now one of the two young women accused of
beating a transgender woman at a McDonalds learns her punishment."
- The Bilerico Project - 9/7/2011 "Aussi Transgender Singer Wows 'X Factor' Judges" Filed by: Karen Ocamb "SheWired posted a wonderful story about transgender singer Paige Elliot Phoenix, 35, who auditioned for Australia's X Factor
reality show recently and wowed the three judges, one of whom is former
Spice Girl Melanie Brown. Phoenix talked about his FTM transition live
onstage before singing INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart." He was given three
"Yes" votes to return for the show's "boot camp" and then shared the
thrilling news with his girlfriend in San Francisco."
(c)Maine Transgender Network, Inc., 2011